[mythtv-users] Naive bayes -> Suggestions

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Fri Aug 5 10:14:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:34:46 -0700
Matt Waddell <list at there.ath.cx> wrote:

> Ahoy,
>
>     I have been experimenting with learning algorithms which
> make content suggestions to the user.  The only one
> I have implemented so far is a naive bayes classifier, and
> it seems to be working pretty well... although for me
> it has been suggesting a few confusing things.

Hey Matt, just browsing the code now, cool stuff.

The link Nick Rout just provided took some of the steam out of my post,
before I hit send ;)

It (the MythBayes page) mentions:

"Central database somewhere that Myth could submit people's viewing
habits to so you could get an Amazon.com-style .." [snip]

I was going to suggest a collaborative-database/social-bookmarks type
thing, to help supplement the algorithm.

Personally, after months of MythTV usage, and only recording new-to-me
episodes, I've had to expand my list of shows to record, just to keep a
daily supply of new recordings. Did I mention? I cringe at the thought
of commercial-packed live TV now. (Truth is, I like to see a fresh batch
every day, even if I only watch half of it .. OCD maybe, I dunno).

This thread titled 'recommendations' section, seems relevant as well:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/13964

Despite my best efforts to find non-crap and keep my tuner recording
24/7, it still goes idle for hours on end. So, I'd use any feature that
fought against an idle recorder. Not so that I'll have 24+ hours of
on-demand TV available, but so that I may choose more wisely from a
better selection.

What I have in mind for 'collaborative', is basically syndicated
'favorites' from willing (anonymous) MythTV participants. A "trust me,
this is good TV" flag - that would help steer an automated algorithm.

In the event the algorithm is 'confused' about what to suggest, a quick
check of 'public opinion', as it were, seems more logical than a coin
toss, black magic, or arbitrary choice based on priorities or other
hard-coded mechanism. In short, if you could whip up a Fuzzy Logic +
Bayes + Myth-del.icio.us plugin, and have it and* those T.P.S. reports
by Monday, that'd be super. ;)

Especially in regard to an idle recorder, that (feature) alone might
help me pick up a better, more diverse group of programs, and some that
I might never have chosen on my own.

Yesterday's a perfect example, X-Games 11 on ESPN just started, I
wouldn't have caught it, but I happened to browse the guide earlier this
week (rare for me). Maybe I'm the only one recording it, albeit at low
priority, but I doubt it.

As Blaise Pascal put it, "I apologize for the length of this letter, for
I lacked the time to make it shorter."

-Jay

p.s. I'd have yet another project underway, of this nature, if I'd
finished POE-Component-Client-MythTV already.