[mythtv-users] Tuning Issues

Marty Ravell mythtv at rave-tech.com.au
Thu Aug 4 03:52:07 UTC 2005

>Contrary to other posts in this thread, I don't think that
>mythfilldatabase has anything to do with your problem -- that is the
>command to download program info. Even if you don't have any program
>info, you should still be able to pick up a signal.

This is what I thought.

>The thing to do is run mythtvsetup, make sure that your capture device
>is set properly -- for a PVR 350 it should be the MPEG 2 card option
>(I think it even says PVR 250). Then make sure that the input source
>is set correctly. This can be confusing as the options are (IIRC)
>Composite 0-3, S-Video 0-3, and Tuner 0. I could never figure out why
>there are so many possibilities when there's only 1 composite, 1 S
>video, and 1 Tuner input.

I think I have things setup correctly in mythtvsetup. You are correct in
that the setting for a 350 is pretty obvious. I will try plugging a
composite signal in this afternoon and see if I can see anything that way as
a test.

>If you run
>$mythtv
>it will take you straight to live TV viewing and show you whatever the
>card is picking up. If all is well, you'll see your TV signal,
>regardless whether or not you've run mythfilldatabase.

If I run mythtv as suggested I just get a black screen. Pressing numbers (of
known channels) doesn't seem to do any good either.

>I can't tell you anything about specific settings in Australia, but in
>the US I had to edit the ivtv configuration to define a different
>tuner type than the default for a PVR 250 (same capture hardware as
>the 350). I've never had to manually input frequencies.

What file in particular should I look at for this ivtv config?

Regards
Marty