[mythtv-users] Compiled mythtv binaries "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 3 17:12:34 UTC 2005

Devan Lippman wrote:

> I just recompiled myth against the SVN last night and I get a segfault
> when exiting from mythtranscode.  I tried to load it up in gdb to
> troubleshoot and when I try to run I get
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /root/mythtranscode
> /root/mythtranscode: error while loading shared libraries:
> libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> searching for the missing library I reveal that it is not present but
> the following are:
> root at devanLFS:~# find / -name libstdc++.so*
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.1
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so
>
> How can it be possible that a binary I compiled last night is looking
> for a library that I don't have?

Myth was compiled using GCC 3.3 but your system libraries were built
with GCC 3.4.  Multiple versions of gcc installed?  If not, it's quite
possible your toolchain is severely broken (which is my way of saying
there are way too many possibilities given the information we have
available to just start guessing what happened).

I'm guessing the "LFS" in your hostname means you're using Linux From
Scratch.  If not, ignore the rest.  If so, you might want to choose
another distro to use for Myth--at least until you get used to how the
toolchain and Myth work and until you get some more experience debugging
errors.  It will also give you more time to get used to LFS in general.
(I.e. Myth is *not* the right project to use to start playing with LFS.)

I'd recommend starting out with FC and using Jarod's guide (
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv )--that way, you're still involved in the
configuration and setup, but you won't have toolchain/library version
issues, etc.  If you just want a working Myth box and don't feel you
have to be involved in the configuration/installation, KnoppMyth may be
a better choice.

Here's my rundown of some different distros...

If Myth doesn't work on
    - KnoppMyth/FC using ATrpms/etc (distro built with Myth in mind) ->
you probably have a problem with configuration of Myth
    - Some distro where you compiled Myth (on a distro not built with
Myth in mind) -> you may have a problem with compilation of Myth or any
of its dependencies, or with configuration of Myth or any of its
dependencies, or with configuration of your system
    - LFS/Gentoo -> you may have a problem with compilation of your
system, with configuration of your system, with compilation of Myth or
any of its dependencies, or with configuration of Myth or any of its
depencencies

Therefore, if you choose LFS or Gentoo (or, for that matter, a distro
that was not built with Myth in mind), make sure there's a good reason
to do so (and I can't really think of a good reason to do so--although,
I'll admit I use a heavily-modified LFS-like hand-built-from-source
system, but I don't have a good reason for doing so).  Also, please make
sure you know the system well enough to identify whether it's actually a
problem with Myth or with any of the other stuff /you're/ responsible
for building/configuring.  That way, if you have problems unrelated to
Myth, only you have to "pay" (through the time you spend figuring out
what you're doing wrong) for your decision to use something that wasn't
built for Myth instead of making others pay (asking the hundreds or
thousands of people on a list for help with something that wouldn't be a
problem with a distro built for Myth).

This rant is not aimed specifically at you, but more of a general
suggestion for anyone planning to set up a Myth box...  There are a lot
of questions on this list that have nothing to do with Myth, and most
are coming from users who choose to use a distro that wasn't built with
Myth in mind or a distro that was built from source.

HTH.

Mike