[mythtv-users] Volume Drop When Changing Channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 3 16:00:23 UTC 2005

Birch, Robert - BMHO wrote:

>I am running MythTV 0.17. I did my install using Jarod's guide on FC3.
>
>Everything works fabulous, but I am finding that when I change channels, my
>volume drops real low. If I do a alsactl restore, my volume comes back to
>where it should be. If I change the channel again, the volume drops again.
>
>I set up a cron job to do the alsactl restore every minute, but that really
>doesn't work great.
>
>Any ideas?

Myth remembers the last volume you used /within Myth/.  Therefore, when
you circumvent Myth in changing the volume (i.e. alsactl restore or
amixer or alsamixer), the next time Myth sets the volume, it goes to the
one it remembers.

So, either commit to never using Myth to change volume (disable "Use
internal volume controls" in setup), or use Myth to change volume (F10/F11).

My recommendation, disable the alsactrl cron job and start up Myth
LiveTV or a recording playback and press F11 until you get the volume
you want.  Change channels or exit and start a new recording and enjoy.

Mike