[mythtv-users] Finally got tv out to work properly

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 3 15:52:30 UTC 2005

Mark J. Small wrote:

>When the wife's away, the geek can play....
>
>A while back I replaced the video card in my frontend.  It used to be a TNT2,
>but I replaced it with an MX440.  I was hoping to be able to get rid of my
>scan converter and use the TV out on the card.
>
>However, whenever I tried to use the TV out, X (xfree86 4.3.0 debian packages)
>would crash on startup with a signal 11.
>
>Well last night I finally had a chance to sit down and troubleshoot the thing.
>It turns out that glx was causing the problem.  If I comment out the glx
>module, then TV out will work nicely.
>
>Anyone know why glx and tvout won't play nice?

Are you sure you disabled glx and not GLCore?

I'm using a Chaintech GF4 MX440's TV out and am using glx without any
problems.  However, as described in the installation instructions for
the NVIDIA driver (
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7667/README.txt --search
for the first occurrence of "GLCore"), you *must* disable the GLCore
module to properly install the NVIDIA drivers.  (You are also told to
enable the glx module, so...  I highly recommend reading the README (of
every package you ever install on your box, for that matter).

My guess is that you currently have GLCore enabled.  With both glx and
GLCore, your system is using both the NVIDIA and the X GL libraries,
which causes conflicts.  Through "random chance," you commented out one
of them (glx) and it worked--with only the X libraries (and software
GL)--but you're losing out on some very useful capabilities of the
driver.  If you flip them (disable GLCore and enable glx), you should
get hardware-based GL acceleration.

Mike