[mythtv-users] Re: apt-get on FC3 still broken?

Christopher Holmes chris.monkey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:10:50 UTC 2005

On 8/2/05, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:29:28PM -0400, Christopher Holmes wrote:
> > That's great, but is there a way to fix a buggered system AFTER you're hosed?
> > Rpm & apt don't work now and I don't have yum or smart installed.
>
> What does "rpm don't work" mean?

I get this sort of error for any apt or rpm operation I've tried since
the upgrade:
[root at localhost mythtv]# apt-get install rpm librpm4.4 apt
atrpms-package-config fedora-release beecrypt
rpmdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/__db.001: unable to initialize environment lock:
Function not implemented
error: db4 error(38) from dbenv->open: Function not implemented
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Function not implemented (38)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
E: could not open RPM database
[root at localhost mythtv]# apt-get install fedora-release
atrpms-package-config beecrypt apt smart
rpmdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/__db.001: unable to initialize environment lock:
Function not implemented
error: db4 error(38) from dbenv->open: Function not implemented
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Function not implemented (38)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
E: could not open RPM database
[root at localhost mythtv]#

[root at localhost tmp]# rpm -i atrpms-kickstart-28-1.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm
rpmdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/__db.001: unable to initialize environment lock:
Function not implemented
error: db4 error(38) from dbenv->open: Function not implemented
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Function not implemented (38)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
warning: atrpms-kickstart-28-1.rhfc3.at.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA
signature: NOKEY, key ID 66534c2b
rpmdb: unable to initialize mutex: Function not implemented
rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/__db.001: unable to initialize environment lock:
Function not implemented
error: db4 error(38) from dbenv->open: Function not implemented
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[root at localhost tmp]#

> > I suppose I could compile rpm or apt from sources, but is there an easier way?
>
> Download the fixed atrpms-kickstart, unless your rpm is really broken.

It's really broken.