[mythtv-users] Pundit mythtv

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 2 18:47:24 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 10:47, Neale Swinnerton wrote:
>

>>>So which epia boards are you using as front ends?  I looked at several
>>>on the mini-itx.com site and they do look interesting.  I assume you are
>>>using the video output from the epia board and do not have any encoder
>>>cards installed in such a front end.  What speed CPU is needed to handle
>>>decode of mpeg2?
>>>

>>I've got a Epia MII 12000 and a fanless Epia ME6000. Video out is via the
>>built in driver. Both can play back mythtv recordings easily, 'cos the
>>MPEG2 decoding is handled in hardware, using the built in mythv xvmc-vld
>>support. (the work on this lately has made this pretty solid for me). I
>>play MPEG4 avi's on both machines. The ME6000 can 'just' (>90%cpu) cope
>>with most MPEG4's
>>

>Ah! So those boards have on board mpeg2 decoding that works with stuff
>recorded using a PVR-350 or PVR-250.  I'm not really interested in using
>this for avi's, just for the TV recordings.
>

>>In the UK we don't have any HD content broadcast yet, so I haven't got
>>into that, you might want to investigate different boards if you want to
>>decode HD in hardware, there has been discussion on this list about this
>>sort of stuff.
>>

>Currently not interested in HD stuff either.  :)
>

>>>Are you using the atrpms packages on the front end systems or some other
>>>distribution?
>>>

>>I tend to build from SVN head when I see something interesting in the
>>Changes. Both my frontend machines are diskless, Knoppmyth is your friend
>>for that sort of stuff, although I use gentoo.
>>

>I will take a look at knoppmyth.  Currently running FC3 with mythtv from
>atrpms.  I believe I am one version behind on mythtv at the moment.  Why
>mess with something that is working just fine.  :)
>

>>>While I was hoping to get a third capture card in the mix finding a good
>>>relatively cheap frontend only system is a goal.
>>>

>>I found that with 3 cards I'm pushed to be able to watch all the stuff I
>>record. I can rapidly fill my disks!!
>>

>After the initial flood of recordings things have settled down to a
>reasonable rate of recordings.  Other than the huge block of Twilight
>Zone's during the marathon they ran a few weeks ago it is fairly easy to
>keep up with the box now.   Of course having 1 TB to store them on makes
>it easier to keep things until you watch them.
>
>I found that two encoder cards resolve most conflicts.  A third should
>take care of the few remaining conflicts that occur from time to time.
>
>The idea of using a diskless system for the front ends is appealing.  Is
>knoppmyth the best option for this?  Or would setting up a bootp server
>be the way to go?

Some people also use mini-ITX boards with a 1GB CF card as the HD in
front ends.  You can build Linux & Myth from scratch and get it to fit,
or so I hear.  Check gossamer for discussions on this option.  No moving
parts!  It sounds really nice to me. (Pun Intended)  This is how I plan
to build my dedicated FEs.

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

*Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet
products. Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer &
Outlook/Outlook Express.*
Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=85> Get
Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=179>