[mythtv-users] Pundit mythtv

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 17:25:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:50, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >One question I have is I would like to utilize a PVR-350 in the pundit
> >system for output to the TV and as another tuner for recording.  I have
> >been very pleased with the PVR-350 in the existing system.  I read that
> >this will be a tight fit but appears that it should be workable.  Is
> >there any other gotchas with setting a pundit up (or pundit-r) this
> >way?  Since I plan on using the PVR-350 for output the onboard video
> >won't be used much beyond the initial install.
>
> Why would you want to do that?  The video-out on the pundit is great,
> and even a mediocre celeron (if you're not spending the $$ for a full
> p4) can handle displaying fullscreen mpeg2 (heck, my 2.4G p4 will play
> 720p at 800x600).  Mind you, this is the SiS pundit, not the pundit-R
> (or S).  From what I understand, setting up the video out for a 350 is a
> PITA, too (and you'll likely lose out on a number of the new openGL ui
> changes in forthcoming mythtv versions)

Well the first mythtv box I setup uses a PVR-350 for the output and
works very well for me.  :)

It would also give me another encoder channel to use, assuming I
understand correctly that the backend system can use encoders on remote
systems.

However I have started to consider using a epia board setup as a
diskless frontend.  Would make it cost effective to setup one on each TV
in the house.

BTW: once the initrd has been modified to send X out the PVR-350 output
can the video card be pulled from the system?  Or would that prevent the
system from booting?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
		-- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982