[mythtv-users] Experiences with XvMC

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Aug 2 02:50:52 UTC 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Marc Tousignant wrote:
>> Setup of nvidia + xvmc on Gentoo is well documented and went off
>> without a hitch using nvidia-kernel 1.0.7667. Over all I was
>> impressed with the results. Using xvmc I was able to easily playback
>> 1080i clips with about 35% cpu use. Considering the low end PCI bus
>> on the Pundit system board and the low end GPU on the FX 5200.
>>

> <SNIP>
>
> Can you point me to this "well documented" location? I'm having
> trouble
> hehe.

I used these resources:

1) The Gentoo Desktop Guide has a nVidia Howto: http://www.gentoo.org/
doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop
2) The Gentoo Wiki has some good info on nVidia in general. Just
search for nvidia and you'll get a bunch of interesting hits. http://
gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
3) The Gentoo forums are a fantastic resource. http://
forums.gentoo.org. Search on 'nvidia' or on 'xvmc' and you'll find
lots of Q&A threads.

On my box (Asus Pundit SIS P4 Northwood + PCI eVga FX5200) I was able
to emerge the most current masked nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, and
then run opengl-update. A few quick changes to my existing xorg.conf
and I had the nvidia driver with dri up and running in an hour. After
that I followed the desktop guide instructions to rebuild a few
packages like xine-lib and mplayer to include xvmc support and was
able to use Xine 1.1.0 / 0.99.4 to view HDTV content with xvmc.

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1