[mythtv-users] DDi Media Player [was: WAF Achieves a Positive Value !\]

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:53:28 UTC 2005

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
 >>i know it supports mpeg1/2 but not mpeg4.
 >>mpeg4 -- is it not possible because of hardware issues or software
issues ? I went to
 >>the source forge site but couldn't find any explanation why the mpeg4
is not supported.

 >  It doesn't support it because the hardware doesn't have a built in
mpeg4
 > decoder and the cpu isn't fast enough to decode it by itself.  The
windows
 > based software does it by transcoding it on the server and serving up
mpeg2
 > to the device.
 >
 >  There has been talk by several people of working on a transcoding
server
 > that could convert a divx/xvid on the fly and feed mpeg2 to the mvp,
bu so far
 > noone has done it.

Has anyone got any details on the guts of the the Dedicated Devices
Media Player?

I saw this at a distributor's annual expo show last week. While the
server is not really all that interesting to us (~2500USD retail), the
whole setup is the first commercial media server I'd actually consider
offering to my less-than-discriminating distributed A/V clients. But I
digress.

DDi partnered with Leviton and is using Leviton's US distribution. The
rep I spoke with said the system is linux based. Retail on the player is
300USD.

I'll try to get a seed unit when I call the rep back and crack it open
if someone hasn't already. I certainly wouldn't expect it to handle HD
playback but as a remote frontend...that's a lot of connectivity on the
back.

--
Meatwad

http://www.dedicateddev.com/products/dma/

Quick specs:

# Audio Format Support: MP3, Windows Media (WMA), WAV files; upgradeable
for future audio formats
# Video Format Support: MPEG 1 (VCR, VCD), MPEG 2 (DVD) & MPEG 4;
upgradeable for future video formats
# Photo Format Support: JPEG, BMP (Windows Bitmap), GIF, TIFF;
upgradeable for future graphics formats
# Audio Output:

     * Optical S/PDIF
     * Coaxial S/PDIF (1x RCA)
     * Stereo (2x RCA)

# Video Output

     * DVI (Digital Video Interface) (1x DVI)
     * S-Video
     * NTSC Composite Video (1x RCA)
     * Component Video (progressive & interlaced)
     * (YPbPr 3x RCA)

# Network Interface Wired: 10/100 Base-T Ethernet interface