[mythtv-users] Suggested Encoding Rates

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 06:18:10 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:20:00AM -0400, Donavan Stanley wrote:
>

>>On 4/28/05, Alexander Varakin <avarakin at optonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Quality of PVR-?50 hardware encoder is very poor and it requires very high bit
>>>rates for decent quality (about 6Mb/s).
>>>Software MPEG2 encoders are much better, in Windows world CCE and TmpGenc are
>>>very good(they can also run on Linux with wine). On linux mpeg2enc is also
>>>very good.
>>>I always reencode using software encoder.
>>>

>>If you're reencoding already encoded files it's too late.
>>

>To some extent.  But I think if you record 720x480 at a high bitrate (8mbit)
>on your pvr-250, you can then reduce that to something lesser like 480x480
>mpeg4 without doing too much worse than having done it from the raw.
>
>Trying to go to the same resolution or not using a nice high bitrate
>for the source would be bad news.  If, however, you plan to transcode
>immediately, you might as well use a very high bit rate on the source
>encoding to remove artifacts from the 1st step, it won't cost you anything
>since the file is vanishing pretty soon.
>
>This could make sense on a machine with not enough cpu to software encode
>mp4 in real time (or not wanting to spare the cpu to leave it available for
>watching.)
>
>If you have the cpu to record mp4 in real time I suppose it makes more
>sense to get a good raw capture card and do that, but it seems you
>might not be able to do things like play HDTV and encode mp4 sdtv at
>the same time even on a very fast system.

I myself have been trying to properly setup transcoding properly.  I
believe I have some acceptable settings now to transcode my mpeg2
hauppauge based recordings into an mpeg4 type recording, but run into
issues with aspect ratios.  The recordings play back fine if I was to
play them back in myth since it corrects for the right aspect ratio it
seems, but if I use mplayer, xine, or windows media player on a windows
box the aspect ratio is missed up.  Is there an easy way to correct this?