[mythtv-users] Suggested Encoding Rates

Alexander Varakin avarakin at optonline.net
Fri Apr 29 02:41:18 UTC 2005

Quality of PVR-?50 hardware encoder is very poor and it requires very high bit
rates for decent quality (about 6Mb/s).
Software MPEG2 encoders are much better, in Windows world CCE and TmpGenc are
very good(they can also run on Linux with wine). On linux mpeg2enc is also
very good.
I always reencode using software encoder.
If I need DVD compatibility, I use mpeg2enc and result is about 600M for 45
min show, resolution 720x480.
If I don't care about DVD compatibility then I encode into xvid : about 300M
for 45 min, resolution 640x480.