[mythtv-users] Re: Status of MythTV in 64bit-FC_land

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 29 00:15:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:09:22PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

> >>Really? Are you refering to the sw part taking advantage of the HW? I
> >>haven't heard of any chip issues.
> >>

> >It doesn*t build w/o turning off MMX.
> >

> Well.. crummy! Why is that? (should I ask in the devel forum?)
>
> Does anyone have benchmarks, or even off the top of your head knowledge,
> on the performance difference w/o MMX on 64-bit vs. w/MMX on 32-bit.

There have been some posts on this, check out the archives.

> For mythtv, is having MMX a decided "got-to-have"feature for
> performance?

It depends. If you have a 64 bit platform chances are that you have
enough power to do well w/o MMX support.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net