[mythtv-users] Help setting up a 2nd MythFrontend client

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 00:02:50 UTC 2005

> I am trying to setup a second Frontend to my MythTV
> box, but am not very successful.
>
> First, here's the layout I have and what I'm trying to
> achieve
>
> Box 1:  Call it my MythTV server (Always on)
>
> Machine:                AMD Athlon 3200 w/ 1G RAM
> OS:                     Suse Linux 9.2
> MythTV ver:             0.18
> MythBackend:            Running
> Capture Card:           Hauppauge PVR-250
> Record/Live Store:      /mnt/store
> IP:                     Static  192.168.1.1
> MySQL:                  Running
>                       (Opened access to Mythconverg
> database to x.x.x.*)
> Network:                100Mbps
>
> Box 2:  Call it my MythTV Client (To be turned on when
> necessary to either watch LiveTV or a recorded show)
>
> Machine:                Intel 2400 w/ 512M RAM
> OS:                     Suse Linux 9.2
> MythTV ver:             0.18
> MythBackend:            Runs and connects as Slave (But do I
> need to run it here????)

No you don't need it running.  Just make sure you go through your
setup to tell it where on your LAN your MBE (Master Backend) lives.

> Capture Card:           None
> Record/Live Store:     ????unsure what I should put
> here - currently /var/tmp?????

I actually have my record directory NFS mounted because it also
contains my video files for mythvideo.  However, if it's a pure TV
front end, you don't need to do this, it doesn't matter what directory
you use, it's pulling the info from the backend.

> IP:                     DHCP    (usually assigned 192.168.1.100)
> MySQL:          Running (but do I need to run it here??????)

No you don't need it running on the frontend, but you do need it
installed (it uses the libraries to talk to mysql on the backend, or
wherever your mysql db is running for myth.

> Network:                100Mbps
>
> On Box 1, mythtv works perfectly.  I can record, watch
> LiveTV, etc, etc…  What I want is to do is store this
> box somewhere, always leave it on and forget about it.

Great idea, I threw mine in the room with the furnace and water
heater, I'm thinking the attic might be better though...

>  Box 2 (client) is where I want to schedule records,
> watch them, and watch Live TV.

Excellent idea.  Again, as long as it's just TV, the directories are
not read.  IF you are going to be viewing movies with mythvideo, you
will need an NFS mount or something similar to share that data.

> >From Box 2, I can successfully connect to the Server's
> MySQL database, and have opened up all ports necessary
> on the server to allow a connection to MySQL as well a
> MythBackend.
>
> Where I'm having trouble is in the configuration of
> MythTV on the Client (Box 2). Mythfrontend starts, but
> can not display LiveTV.  The screen goes blank, and
> after 1 second or so, returns to the MythFrontend
> menu.
>
> I've tried this with and without the Mythbackend
> running on the client.  I'm actually uncertain about
> whether I need to run MythBackend on the client???

I am guessing along the same lines as the first responder, you have
the settings in your MBE wrong.  In your mythtv-setup (or setup or
mythsetup depending on what you have going on with your distro)
program, be sure your IP's all match up correctly.  The loopback IP is
not enough for distribution to more than that client (in other words,
what you want to do).  Enter in it's correct LAN IP and give that a
go.

> I suspect that one or more of these messages in the
> logs is responsible but can't find anything about how
> to correct this situation:
>
> RemoteFile::openSocket(control socket):  Could not
> connect to server ""@ port -1
>  OR
> RemoteFile::openSocket(ringbuffer data socket):  Could
> not connect to server "" @ port -1
>  OR
> RingBuffer::RingBuffer(): Failed to open remote file
> (bad)
>  OR
> ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in
> /usr/lib/qt3/include/qvaluelist.h (372)
>
> My main setup parameters and the full logs are found
> below.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
>
> Marco
>
> Some MYTHTV-SETUP parameters (on the client box):
>
> General
>         IP address of localhost         : 127.0.0.1
>         Server Port                     : 6543
>         Status Port                     : 6544
>         Master Server IP                : 192.168.1.1
>         Master Server port              : 6543
> Host-Specific Backend Setup
>         Directory to Hold records       : /var/tmp
>         Directory to Hold Live-TV buffers: /var/tmp
>
> Job Queue (Global)
>         X Run Jobs only on original recording host
>
> Capture Cards:
>         NONE
>
> Video Sources
>         Cable (which was automatically acquired from the
> server)
>
> Input Connectors
>         None
>
> Channel Editor
>         **All channels were acquired from the server are
> properly listed here****
>
> MYTHFRONTEND Setup
>
> General
>         Database Configuration
>                 Hostname        192.168.1.1

Use REAL LAN IP's for your settings, loopback IP's just confuse your
applications when you are trying to link them.

Good Luck!

Cool