[mythtv-users] Playback/seeking strangeness

Andy Foster fostandy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:02:16 UTC 2005

I understand there are currently some ongoing 0.17+ issues with
playback which may or may not be codec, hardware or performance
related, and just wanted to find out if this explains the rather
bizarre symptoms I'm getting. To summarise:

1. During watching tv (no recording)
 All is good. Seeking (timeshit) is fine, playback is fine.

2. During live playback (when playing back a show that is currently
being recorded):
 Seeking is fine.
 Playback is substantially faster than recording. If I'm tailing the
live feed by about 10 seconds, it takes about 40 seconds for playback
to catch up, and then it stalls for a few seconds or exits to the
recordings interface telling me the recording has ended (it hasn't).

3. During playback of shows where recording has completed:
 The initial ffwd works (ie I can jump forwards 6 seconds). Then
seeking doesn't work. Trying to seek or jump causes sporadic pauses
and sometimes freezes.
 In addition, the show duration changes wildly. Sometimes it sits near
what I imagine it should be and oscillates by 1 second. Othertimes it
just goes nuts. A few times I've had it go up to several hundred
hours. I can't actually seek there, of course
 Playback skips forward by (I estimate) 2-4 seconds every now and
then, basically cutting slices out of the show.

Anyway the end result is, unfortunately, a fairly useless pvr. I've
tried dabbling with libmpeg2, video timebase and extra audio buffering
options without luck. XvMC is constantly off. Mplayer plays and seeks
the recordings fine, although the 2-4 second skipping is still
present. I'm running a P4 2.4Ghz, GeForce4MX with VisionPlus DTV with
the current 0.18 release. It did work fine with 0.16.

Are these common problems or is there something very unhealthy with my setup?

thanks