[mythtv-users] Suggested Encoding Rates

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:57:08 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Timothy Daniel Hamer wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Scott Alfter wrote:
> >> Those AVIs you downloaded probably aren't using MPEG-2, but instead use
> >> some variant or another of MPEG-4.  That's why they can deliver the same
> >> quality in less space.  Comparing MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 is like comparing Ogg
> >> Vorbis to MP3.
> >>
> >> You could transcode from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4...
> >
> > I noticed the same thing with downloaded files vs. files captured from my
> > pvr 150, but even when i use mythtranscode to convert them to mpeg-4, i can
> > get downloaded AVI files that look much better and are smaller. Should i use
> > one of the external transcoding programs instead of mythtranscode?
>
> There's a possibility that a standalone encoder might work better than whatever
> mythtranscode uses (I don't have much experience with mythtranscode as I edit
> and reencode to MPEG-2 to make DVDs).  It's also possible that the AVIs you're
> downloading were captured from a cleaner source than whatever is feeding your
> PVR-150.

i'm not sure if 'Transcode' is used within Myth for transcoding.  it
can be found at sourceforge and is used in several other video type
projects.  it looks like it's pretty powerful but also looks to be
complex.  it does have the cool feature of distributed transcoding
though. :)  so you could split up your job over several machines to
speed things up.