[mythtv-users] First frontend only machine

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Thu Apr 28 05:32:38 UTC 2005

> OK, that's a bit better, but I suppose I'd really like it to be
> running something other than ext2 if possible. Was nothing else
> supported in the Xebian kernel? That would be unfortunate. If ext3 is
> supported then you could give it a journal now, right? (Need to check
> that but I think you can turn the journal on and off when you want.)

I don't know if the kernel supports other filesystems - it didn't give
me a choice of filesystem when I did the install.  I don't see any
reference to filesystem choice on the xbox-linux site either.  It does
seem odd, now that you mention it.  Gentoox appears to support a full
range, so there's no real reason why Xebian can't too.

The install is done by script though, so in theory it wouldn't be too
hard to change those few lines involving building the loopback file and
mounting it to use ext3.  I'm not really comfortable enough with
loopback filesystems to tackle that on my own though without doing some
reading first.  I'm a little hindered by the fact that I don't have a
copy of the script laying around either...

The nice thing with doing multiple installs though is that once you've
got an image built, you should be able to just copy over the files and
touch those config files involving network identity to give the machines
unique hostnames and IPs.

Greg