[mythtv-users] First frontend only machine

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:13:48 UTC 2005

On 4/26/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kanetse - Is it a true statement that if I go the direction of a
> software mod to start that nothing is lost other than time if it
> doesn't meet my needs? If I can back out the software mods later then
> I have a new XBox again and could add a hardware mod at that point?

The softmod is only supposed to affect the files on the hard drive, so
you can back out at any time.  If you mess things up badly, you can
download an ISO called "Slayers EvoX Auto-Installer", burn it to a
CD-RW and then insert it into your XBox, it takes about 15 minutes to
restore the XBox back to its factory state.  From there, you can
either use it as a normal XBox or go the hardware mod method.

> If so then is the software only mod that you're done the one discussed
> on http://www.xbox-linux.org  ?

Unforunately, the xbox-linux.org website is out-of-date, as it only
lists the MechAssult exploit and states that the XBox v1.6 cannot be
soft-modded.  I own a v1.4, but from what I have read on
http://www.xbox-scene.com forums, all versions including the v1.6 can
be exploited using MechAssault, 007:Agent Under Fire or Splinter Cell.

So to answer your question, no, I did not use the one discussed on
xbox-linux.org, but it was something very similar.