[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Frontend - HDTV Capable?

Tom Dombrosky tbdombrosky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 14:11:35 UTC 2005

On 4/26/05, Matt Mousseau <matt at amsvans.com> wrote:

> I am currently building my main myth box to have HDTV capability (At least I
> hope):
>
> Asus K8N-E Deluxe (Socket 754, nForce 3 250gb)
> Crappy GF4 w/ tvout (gonna replace to get a dvi port, taking recommendations
> ;-))
> Athlon 64 2800+ (Newcastle)
> 1 GB DDR400 SDRAM
> 2 WD 250gb SATA Drives (going to 4 soon)
> Firewire card (to be purchased, just gonna make one that works with the
> DCT6200)
>
> Hoping this system will play back HDTV content well. (Anyone got an
> opinion?). Once this system is together 100%, I want to add a Mac Mini as a
> frontend (would go back in my room). So, would it be able to playback HDTV?
> The network link would be gigabit...

You are cutting it somewhat close with that system.  The devs
recommend P4s with hyperthreading because they seem to be better at
decoding.  I can vouch for it because  my P4 530 decodes 1080i hd
streams with ease (when it works, but I'm currently having huge issues
with nvidia's drivers).  However, you can use XVMC to help with
decoding and the requirements go waaaaaaaaay down.  I haven't used it
much so I'd check to see how well it's working before you buy any
hardware.

As for the mac mini, that doesn't have nearly enough power for HD streams.

Tom