[mythtv-users] RE: MythMusic spdif

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Mon Apr 25 16:41:06 UTC 2005

>  Is it me? Or does mythmusic only work on oss?
>

> I use alsa:spdif for mythtv, so when I use mythmusic I have to switch
> to my
> analog output before I can hear audio!

I had problems getting mythmusic to play through spdif even after
following the DigitalSound HOWTO at

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo

I used the more advanced .asoundrc file and uncommented the 14th line
slave.pcm "dmix-digital"

I'm sorry I can't remember for certain which one of these I'm currently
using
  /dev/adsp
or
ALSA:dmix-digital
  or
alas:dmix-digital

I can check tonight if you haven't got it working.  However, the key
for my system was adding the following line to modules.conf or
modprobe.conf depending on whether you're using a 2.6 or 2.4 kernel.
This number may be different depending on your sound card.

options snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2

You should be able to verify the number of your spdif output by
cat /proc/asound/pcm

00-00: Intel ICH : NVidia nForce2 : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: Intel ICH - MIC ADC : NVidia nForce2 - MIC ADC : capture 1
00-02: Intel ICH - IEC958 : NVidia nForce2 - IEC958 : playback 1

The IEC958 line is the spdif on my nForce2 builtin audio, so I set
adsp_map=2

Everything was working fine with the above config until I upgraded from
redhat 9 to fedore core 3.  I got a bunch of permission in mythtv about
not being able to open the audio devs.  I fixed this by editing
/etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions.  I changed the group
permission on all of the audio stuff to my mythtv group.  I haven't
seen this mentioned before, but it fixed my situation.
dsp*:root:mythtv:0660
audio*:root:mythtv:0660
midi*:root:mythtv:0660
mixer*:root:mythtv:0660