[mythtv-users] Best Analog Capture (maybe not mpeg2?)

Jean Connelly unksme at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:21:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to finalizing my PVR setup and my next part
of the project is to pick the best analog capture option out of the
hardware I already have available.  I figured I'd try to capture
similar material with each option and then review the results.
However, I thought I'd throw a note out first to see if anybody has
already done the work for me :-) .  I've looked around in the archive,
but I couldn't find answers to the types of questions I have.

My goal is to do analog captures of various programs to be archived.

I noticed that everybody seems to be using mpeg2 cards these days for
analog capture, but isn't that a big quality cut?  especially for
material that should really be run through an inverse telecine filter
before encoding?

If I'll be using a card without mpeg2 hardware compression, is there
any card that really has a better Y/C filter than my good ol' JVC VCR?
 Also, since I'll be capping from a cable box for the time being, has
anybody evaluated the Y/C filter on the motorola 6200 boxes?  That has
an S-Video out.  The firewire output of the 6200 on analog stations
seems to be pretty ugly (all kinds of block artifacts).

I've just got a really big matrix of things to check out in the
equipment I already own:

Capture Cards:
   Mjpeg Hardware :
      G400-TV