[mythtv-users] Pre-buffering pauses on Toshiba 4300 laptop

Shawn Flynn shawn at shawnflynn.com
Mon Apr 25 14:38:02 UTC 2005

I am currently trying to setup an old laptop as a frontend only box for my MythTV system (details below). Everything is installed and running ok, except that I get pre-buffering pauses when I try to playback any of my recordings. Looking at 'top' it appears that the cpu is being pegged at 100% during video playback (65% mythfrontend, 35% X). This laptop _should_ be fast enough to playback the videos as I can play them back on another frontend with a slower processor. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to where to look to improve performance for this machine?

Toshiba Sattelite 4300 Pro, P3-600, 192MB RAM, S3 Savage/IX

Fedora 3 and Mythtv 0.17 installed using Jarod's most excellent guide.

Using internal LCD panel @ 1024x768 as display (Laptop has TV-Out but I won't be using it)

xvinfo tells me that XV is running for the Savage/IX video

Video clips being played are 720x480 at 5500 mpg2 captured with a PVR250. Video clips are ok as I can play them with my celeron 533/ATi Rage frontend machine without pauses.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn Flynn