[mythtv-users] Issues with new DVB card (aspect ratio and interlacing)

Marlor LPE marlor_lpe at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 25 07:05:18 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I've been running MythTV for quite a while with an
analogue tuner card, using an XBox (and more recently
a Mac mini) as the frontend. All the deinterlacing has
been done server-side while encoding, so this has been
working extremely well.

This weekend, I decided to switch to a DVB-T card
(XPERT DTV-DVB-T with the cx88xx chipset). The card is
now set up and working with MythTV, but I have two
issues:

1. I can't use filters such as "kerneldeint" when
encoding. This seems strange, since MythTV is encoding
the stream to MPEG-4, just as it did with the analogue
card.

2. The aspect ratio is stuck at 16:9. This means that
when a show is broadcast in 4:3, there are black bars
at the top, bottom and sides.

When using my PC as a frontend, I can deinterlace the
picture during playback and alter the aspect ratio in
order to fix these issues. Unfortunately, the Mac mini
does not cope well with either of these workarounds
(applying any zooming or filters sends the CPU usage
sky-high), so does anyone have any advice of a
solution on the server-side?

Thanks,
Aaron

http://au.movies.yahoo.com