[mythtv-users] HELP: audio has gone

Reggie Braswell reggman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 00:47:40 UTC 2005

Not sure this will help, but just thought I would post something I ran
into recently. I have a creative soundblaster live 5.1 card and always
allowed FC3 to make my default modifications in /etc/modprobe.conf
which was this:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

Although I always had sound and was able to raw out via spdif to my
receiver and got full surround I always had an issue where some MP3's
would play with a 'muddy' sound. I ignored it for a while (didn't
really bother me that much). Wanting to do a little bragging to my
co-workers that live in Windows SageTV land I wanted to get some nice
printscreens of Myth. I ran a VNC session to my laptop (forgetting
that Myth was set to autolaunch on any KDE session ) POOF audio went
bye-bye. It took me forever to get it back dinking with alsamixer
etc... (I to this day don't know what I did to get it back). Well
being the type of person to not leave well enough alone I did the VNC
session again - bad decision at first, but paid off in the long run.
Luckily I never could get sound back which lead me in this direction.
I remarked out those modprobe.conf settings above and let alsaconf
make the modifications. I then referenced
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=emu10k1 and made some mods they
suggested. I am S-O-O-O-O-O glad I did. Not only did sound come back
it is a hell of a lot better sounding now and the MP3 muddy sound has
vanished from those suspect MP3s. This is my new modprobe.conf
settings for the soundblaster live:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0 extin="0x3fc3" extout="0x1fff"

Regg