[mythtv-users] Decent, Inexpensive Video Card? (Yes, I did search)

Galen galen at myhome.net
Fri Apr 22 04:13:21 UTC 2005

I have been eyeing the 5200FX as an inexpensive option actually. Does
the s-video output vary from brand to brand? I really like the idea of
having the video output to s-video if there's no other display. Does
the fan vary in volume/presence from brand to brand? I would imagine
that at least the fan varies from brand to brand, if not the s-video
and possibly other attributes - can anybody specify brands if relevant?

Has anybody tested the 1920 x 1080 DVI out? I thought I heard there
were issues with this. I'm basically looking to output full-resolution
HDTV to a device like a LCD monitor. Am I completely off-base, or have
their been issues with this?

Out of curiosity, does the VRAM have any impact on performance,
particularly with XvMC? Is XvMC a universal thing, or are higher-end
cards required to handle XvMC and 1080i? I'm not exactly in the mood to
decrypt white papers regarding XvMC or dig through source code and try
to understand how precisely it works and how that would apply to answer
this practical question... if there's a nice bit of practical
documentation on XvMC somewhere on the net that I'm not finding with
Google, I'd love it if someone would point me in that direction.

Thanks!

-Galen