[mythtv-users] OT: Power off monitor on X login screen

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:50:50 UTC 2005

This is a bit of a tricky problem; and hard to search for.

I have a slave backend running the standard Fedora Core 3 install.  It
shares an LCD monitor with an XBox (D-Sub).  The backend is hooked up
via DVI.  The LCD monitor is a BenQ monitor that auto-detects the
signal and switches to the input to DVI or D-Sub depending on which
one is sending a signal.

Frequently, I will turn on the backend end/DVI just so that its
recorder is available while I play XBox.  Thus, the screen is
displaying the Fedora/X login screen.  After a few minute, the screen
saver kicks in, but it only blanks the screen and doesn't turn the
monitor off.

Now, I manually switch back to the XBox (D-Sub) and play for a little
bit.  But the when the XBox is reset (or switches video modes), it
usually blanks the screen and then the LCD monitor reverts back to the
DVI input.  Unforunately, almost all of the time I want the LCD to
stay on the D-Sub/XBox.

How do I get Fedora Core 3's X login screen to send no signal to the
monitor?  It's gotta be one of the power saving features; but I tried
setting the power manangement/screen saver properties for the 'root'
Desktop account via the control center, but I don't think those are
the settings that apply to the login screen.

Thanks!