[mythtv-users] OT: avidemux2 question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 21 21:33:05 UTC 2005

On 04/21/05 16:25, James Pifer wrote:

>Someone else also suggested Normalize. I selected that in avidemux2 and
>re-saved and it came out about the same as far as I can tell.
>
>If I look at my Myth recording profiles they are all set at 90%.
>If I look at [Utilities/Setup]Setup/General:
>Mixer Device: /dev/mixer
>Mixer Controls: Master
>Master Mixer Volume is at 74%
>PCM Mixer Volume is at 52%
>
>Would these have any bearing on recording?

No.  However, it means that when playing back recordings in MythTV,
you're using 74% for master and 52% for PCM and when you use the volume
button (F10 or F11) in Myth, the Master volume is changed.

I set my Master to 90%, use /dev/mixer with mixer controls PCM, so when
I use the volume button, I change the PCM volume.  I chose this approach
because xine and MPlayer both default to using mixer controls PCM (so
I'm changing the same volume regardless of application).

Which brings me to my point--remember that (unless you specified the
"Internal" player) MythVideo uses an external player (i.e. xine or
MPlayer).  Each application tends to "remember" the settings for you.
So, for example, if you watch something using MythTV, your volume snaps
back to 74%/52%.  You volume up a couple of times changing to 74%/74%.
Then, you may go into xine or MPlayer and it may snap the PCM volume to
30% and leaves Master at 74% (to the best of my knowledge, neither xine
nor MPlayer set both master and PCM on startup).  Since you originally
tested xine with Master at 90%--at which point the 30% sounded good--it
seems that post-avidemux volume is different.  This is also probably why
you have such "seemingly-random" settings for both PCM and Master. ;)

In fact, it's probably your dueling volume controls that's causing the
confusion.  I recommend either setting Myth to Master 90%, Mixer Device
/dev/mixer, Mixer Controls PCM or changing all your external
applications to adjust master volume (which can be very difficult when
you factor in playing CD's with digital audio extraction--i.e. which
uses the CD channel--as well as other playback modes).  Changing your
Myth settings is probably easiest.

HTH.

Mike