[mythtv-users] Alternative to Zap2It?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 21 15:24:19 UTC 2005

Richard Legault wrote:

> My VCR gets it programming guide directly from the cable feed.
> I think the data is in between the image frames or something.
> The VCR has a limit of 24 hours advance on the listings.
> Is this something that a computer based PVR can use?

This has been discussed many times before on the list.  Depending on
where you live, time of day, and program content, the technology is
called either Program Delivery Control (PDC) or Video Program System
(VPS) or Universal Television Program Code (UTPC) or Automated
Measurement of Line-ups (AMOL) (and we'll just ignore the name
StarText).  Do searches for VPS and PDC (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/ ) and you'll see a lot of
discussion.

The primary problems with the approach include:
    a) You must have a tuner card tuned to the channel for which you
want the guide data and it must be extracting and interpreting the VBI
(vertical blanking interval) data.
    b) The guide data for each channel is transmitted only on that channel.
    c) Not all channels transmit this data.
    d) Attempting to incorporate this guide data would wreak havoc on
the MythTV scheduler--especially when channels are not broadcasting "on
time" (remember, also, that each channel has it's own idea of the
current time).  Some channels may be chronically early or late, and all
channels experience occasional interruptions.   These occasional
interruptions may be handled by shifting the programming schedule or
with the, "We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming,
already in progress"-because-who-needs-to-see-the-first-75%-of-the-show
approach.

The benefits include:
    a) You'll still get that episode of the Simpsons that's aired 49min
late after the game goes into overtime--or at least the last 11 minutes
of it. ;)
    b) When the evil corporation that runs Zap2It, TMS, decides that the
cost/benefit of direct billing a few thousand MythTV users in North
America will bring in as much money as billing TiVo once for all its
customers, you'll be all set.  ;)

That being said, it's probably better to attempt to find a way to use it
in conjunction with--not as an alternative to--Zap2It.

HTH.
Mike