[mythtv-users] FC2 kernel problems

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 03:15:24 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, Robin Smith <1canuck2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running a stable MythTV .18 install on FC2 kernel 2.6.9-1.11
> I wanted to upgrade my nvidia drivers to the latest 7174 version.
>
> Through synaptic, the only kernel it shows for nvidia drivers in FC2
> is 2.6.10-1.770 (and 771).
>
> So I considered upgrading to this kernel, but I can't find it. I can
> find a 2.6.10-2.1 kernel but there are none of the required Myth
> packages (ivtv, lirc, etc) available other than alsa
>
> No matter what FC2 kernel I look at, I can't find one that has both
> the kernel and all the required modules available. Am I missing
> something here or is it becoming a necessity to upgrade to FC3? I'd
> prefer not to have to go FC3 if FC2 will continue to be supported for
> a while as the FC3 upgrade seems way more involved.

Robin,

Have you considered compiling the kernel and/or the required software
like ALSA, LIRC and ivtv, or you do want to only use Synaptic? I am
quite happily running 2.6.10 with ALSA 1.0.8m LIRC 0.7.0 and ivtv
0.2.0-rc3f with no problems. You could download the new kernel via
Synaptic, and then manually install the troika yourself which is very
straightforward.

When I first installed MythTV on a dedicated PVR before Christmas, I
wanted to use the flexibility of apt-get to easily get the components
I needed, but as kernels get released frequently and certain hardware
needs patching (such as DVB in my case) I decided to go down the
compilation route. Now everything can be setup as relates to your own
system which can offer more performance and also can remove unwanted
options. I used apt-get to install myth-0.16 in the first instance,
and this magically pulled in all the dependencies too, which was
incredibly useful. However, I am hoping that when I next install a new
version, it will be from source or CVS, to facilitate getting new
patches and features.

I will continue to use FC2 for the forseeable future, now that my
system is stable finally and everything seems to be working, so if you
are willing to spend a little while like I did getting to grips with
compiling, I'd say it's well worth it.

HTH,
Nick