[mythtv-users] Booting from CF, everything else over NFS

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Apr 20 18:30:11 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 08:39, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 April 2005 15:45, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> >  > Well, I'm booting from CF and mounting /usr and the MythVideo library
> >  > over nfs, but streaming actual TV playback.
> >
> > I've got an 8MB CF and a CF to IDE adapter.  I've got a machine
> > currently running FC3, and it's noisy.  I can't pxeboot the machine, and
> > I'd like to get the hard drive out of there for noise reasons.
> >
> > Is it just a matter of doing a fdisk / mkfs on the CF device, copying
> > over /boot, copying the contents of the existing drive over to the NFS
> > server and changing /etc/fstab to have the mount point of / to be over
> > NFS?

Definitely not sufficient, since /etc/fstab is on /. A bit of a chicken and
egg problem there. ;-)

> You have to follow the diskless client guides you can find on the internet,
> except for the part where you load the kernel.  Because you can load the
> kernel from your CF card.  And that's the only thing you have to put on
> that card.  And maybe grub or lilo as a bootloader.

I'm pretty certain you'll want the bootloader on the CF.

> You can tell the kernel where it can find it's root filesystem with this
> parameter:
> nfsroot=192.168.7.14:/export/nfs
> You have to put this in your lilo or grub config.
>
> Check the bottom of http://www.kegel.com/linux/pxe.html for some links.

Good info there. The "Local Media" option on this page...

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-4.1/ltsp-4.1.3-en.html#AEN256

...seems to be right along the lines of what you're attempting, Bob, so I
suspect the ltsp docs will have some additional helpful info...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...