[mythtv-users] Re: Sounds woes, FC3 Install using Jarod's Guide

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Wed Apr 20 14:50:42 UTC 2005

> I'm currently stuck at the sound part of Jarod's guide. I think it's a
> simple problem, but here it is. I can't seem to get sound from the
> computer. I think it has something to do with the settings you have to
> turn on and off in Kmix. I seem to remember having to do something to
> the IEC settings in my old FC2 install. I'm currently using the
> Chaintech board with nvidia sound. I was wondering if someone with
> this same sound setup could let me know what settings they have
> checked/unchecked in kmix so that I can get past this step with
> alittle more ease. I've tried every combination I can think of, and
> still the test sound doesn't make sound. I know it's playing, because
> I get no error, but no sound comes from the speakers. Thanks in
> advance.

I just finished install Myth using Jarod's guide, and I had a similar problem.
I could never get it to work by using Kmix.  However, I was able to get things
working using alsamixer.  It's not very pretty, and it forgets all my settings
on reboot, but at least it works.  I think it should be installed by default,
but I'm not sure.

IIRC, I have to enable 2 settings: duplicate something-or-other and one other
thing.  Once those are on, sound plays fine.  One thing to do is just play an
mp3 or something.  Then switch to a terminal window and fire up alsamixer.  Play
around until you can hear the music.

Micah