[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable, Atlanta GA

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Apr 19 02:27:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:52:11PM -0700, Chris Nelson wrote:
> Also, I forgot to mention,
>
> 1080i is about 6.6GB /hr
> 720p is about 4.5GB /hr

Interesting.  It varies quite a bit for the ATSC broadcasts.

The 1080i do indeed come in around anywhere from 6.5gb/hour to 8gb/hour.
That even includes ones with 480i upsampled to 1080i.

The 720p can be all over the map.  For example, I've seen 5gb to 6gb
fairly commonly, but 4gb for upsampled The Simpsons.  However, 24 is
under 3gb/hour, presumably it's at 24fps or something like that, I
should look at it again tonight.

480i DTV I have seen from 1.2gb/hour to 1.8.

So are the cable networks resampling and transcoding?