[mythtv-users] Re: 4DTV merged into Antenna: HowTo?

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 02:26:35 UTC 2005

LKO wrote:

>What I've got is a regular antenna going into the antenna input of
>my PVR-250, with one twist. Channel 46 on the antenna is actually
>our 4DTV receiver's output. So in Myth, if we want to watch an
>antenna channel, we tune it normally. BUT, if we want to watch the
>4DTV, we tune Myth to channel 46. Now, what I'd like for the
>program guide in Myth to do is show us both the 4DTV and the
>antenna listings, but when the use the guide to choose a 4DTV
>channel, it needs to always go to channel 46. Can the program
>guide be set up to do that?

I'm no expert, but I don't think it can do this out of the box.  You may
be able to script it, though, plus a bit of finagling with your channel
IDs.  First set your channels for the 4DTV to all be 46+the 4DTV channel
number (concatenate, not add - as in 4602 or maybe 46002 for 4DTV
channel 2, with the extra zeros so they sort correctly).  Set up Myth to
use an external script to change channels.  Your script would check the
requested channel, and if it doesn't start with 46, use whatever command
line tuner command you have to tune the channel and exit.  If it does
start with 46, use the same utility to tune to 46, then use your
IRblaster's script to change the channel on the 4DTV to the channel
without the 46 in it.  I am not sure how such a script is written, or
how you'd manage to get your guide data filled in with the 4DTV guide
and matched to the 46xxx channel numbers though.  Someone more fluent in
scripting could probably help.  Since you are using on-air for the
normal channels, you shouldn't have a 460 - 469, but someone doing this
on cable might have that problem.

Jeff.