[mythtv-users] Advice re: Frontend/Backend

Preet Khalsa preet at ecbit.com
Mon Apr 18 02:17:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I love Myth.  I have now convinced the wife to join the party.  So we
bought an LCD TV/Monitor combo for the living room.  What I need now is
a way to display from the backend to a frontend in another room.

I am looking for practical experiences from people.  There should be no
problem setting this up.  The current frontend/backend combo will remain
as is.

Here are what I think are the possible combos.  I would like your ideas
on which I should go with and why.

1.  Run a network cable to another room.  Install a normal frontend.
But how will the remote work?  Are there universal IR receivers that are
reasonable and work with LIRC?  I have been on the LIRC web site and
there is only one home made unit from Germany that I can see.

2.  Go wireless for the networking.  I have read that go nothing less
than 'g'.  This is a busy corner of a city I live in.  I worry about
hacking.

3.  Use a MyVideo system to transfer the TV-Out of my FX5200 to the
other room.  The problem with this approach is that the backend is also
a general purpose computer with three people using it with different
IDs.  At least the MyVideo will transmit the IR remote signals back to
the other room.

What have you all set up when you have gone client/server.

Thanks all.

Preet