[mythtv-users] Can MythTv main menu be displayed on the TV out of Pvr350?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:18:13 UTC 2005

On 4/17/05, Don <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>  With lots of help from others, I have MythTv running great on the s-video
> and composite outputs of the Pvr350,  However, I haven't figured out how to
> get the main menu (Watch Tv / Manage Recordings .....) to display on the TV.
>  Anyone have a suggestion?  Can this be done?  Thanks,
>  Don

You will need to install the ivtvdev X-Windows driver - this will
allow the total X Windows system to run over the 350's TV Out, instead
of just the regular decoding of Live TV and recordings. There are lots
and lots of posts on the list about getting this set up, and Jarod's
guide also has the details. Essentially:

i) install the ivtvdev driver (comes with ivtv drivers)
ii) configure your xorg.conf file
iii) connect TV and audio to TV (audio can be rerouted back through
system,with system line-out going to the TV instead
iv) make any adjustments needed for the ivtv framebuffer and MythTV
frontend, which will be needed due to the overscan of the 350 TV Out.
v) Cross fingers!
vi) Reboot/restart X and you should have everything running over the
350's output.

>  BTW, I've tried several combinations using the nvidia s-video out port, but
> had lots of picture quality problems.  The Pvr350's s-video out looks really
> good.

The quality from the 350 is beautiful - I'm hoping for an accelerated
X driver though sometime in the future as the driver and hardware
currently is not fast enough to use for all videos - i.e. DivX/XVid
material encoded to sizes which do not match those of the ivtv
framebuffer.

For regular LiveTV and recordings though, it can't be beaten (IMHO!.

HTH,
Nick