[mythtv-users] Sharing data between two backends

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:50:33 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Shaun Bryant wrote:
>
> >Not that this helps now, but a better way to do this would be to make the backends "partner" aware, eg you would be able to see the shows on another myth cluster and copy the shows on request.
> >

> this could easiliy be done using a VPN between the two sites using Linux
> VPN products or the hardware firewall/router if it supports VPN connections.

I don't think that's quite what he meant.

MythTV is a very intensive network application, with data going back
and forth constantly. what is being suggested here is that while the
backends are aware of each other, they do not transfer data unless it
is explicitly requested.

For example, I can see that John has recorded "Futurama" and I didn't.
I can request the program to watch, and *at that point* my backend
contacts John's backend to transfer the program to me to watch, and
depending on the link speed either plays it straight away or gives an
indication as to how long to download 'til it has enough to play
through.

It also means the backends don't have to be connected all the time.
They can periodically sync their databases (XML push, say) once a day,
or every hour, or on request, or any combination of the above.

But of course, that would be a very hideous legal problem. As bad as a
P2P system.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston