[mythtv-users] Re: Need advice with 'Pixelization"

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:16:44 UTC 2005

OK, I went into mythfrontend -> Settings -> TV settings -> Playback, and
added the Bob 2x Deinterlace option, as well as the "Use video as Timebase"
option. This seemed to correct the artifacts that I was seeing, both in live
TV, and in peviously recorded material. Based ont his, can I assume that the
artifacts were there becasue of the way the encoded video was being decoded
for display? As opposed to it being a flaw in the way the PVR-250 was
encoding the video in the first place?

I went on to experiment further with the XvMC hardware decoding, and that
seemed to introduce stutter. I noticed that the CPU consumption of
mythfrontend dropped by 50% when I did this. Based on this, I assume that
when this box is not checked, myth is doing XvMC software decoding instead?
So, one way or the other, XvMC decoding is being done?

I did not try libmpeg2 or XV. I gather that XV and XvMC are mutually
exclusive options. Is that correct? And what about libmpeg2? Is that to be
used in combination with either XV or XvMC? I guess at some point, it will
become increasingly difficult to discern any improvement, as the picture
quality gets closer to nirvana.