[mythtv-users] MythMusic playback speed too fast

Matthew Phillips mythtv at mattp.name
Fri Apr 15 05:18:39 UTC 2005

On 03/04/2005, at 4:34 PM, Matthew Phillips wrote:
> MythMusic 0.17: when playing back mp3's (LAME-encoded,
> alt-preset-standard) the playback speed is noticeably too fast, but
> strangely no other distortion (e.g. no pitch shift). A side-effect is
> that tracks also finish early, e.g. a 4:47 track finishes at about
> 4:28. I'm using ALSA output to SPDIF on an EPIA M10K/FC3 system.

Just a followup on this.

It turns out I maligned mythmusic when in fact it was an issue with the
SPDIF output. SPDIF needs a sample rate of 48KHz, while mythmusic,
mplayer, etc output 44.1KHz from most music sources, since this is
their native rate. Using "-srate 48000" fixed mplayer. To fix mythmusic
I needed to add the following to /etc/asound.conf and tell mythmusic to
use "ALSA:rate_convert" as the device.

   pcm_slave.test
   {
     pcm "spdif"
     rate 48000
   }

   pcm.rate_convert
   {
     type rate
     slave test
   }

I'm sure there's a much better way to do this in general, in particular
by using the advice at
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo and adapting it from
the nforce example to the VIA 8236 chipset on my board.

Does anyone already have such a beast for the VIA?

Matt.