[mythtv-users] Re: Channels with poor quality create HUGE

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 04:27:20 UTC 2005

Most digital cable channels are broadcast over some
form of IP (Internet Protocol, not Intellectual
Property :) ), and are broadcast as straight MPEG-2
(or increasing in popularlty, MPEG-4) data.  Thus, the
data is free of artifacts introduced by going over the
analog wire (i.e. it's perfect), and as such can
easily be re-compressed.  Even if you don't notice any
noise in the picture of analog cable, rest assured, is
is there, and it will affect the compression.

-- Joe