[mythtv-users] Setting LiveTV default channel/tuner??

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Fri Apr 15 03:44:41 UTC 2005

hello:

Is there any way to set which tuner LiveTV will default to (such that it
picks a tuner that would not necessarily be the same as what recordings
would choose)?

I have digital cable and a single set-top box connected to a PVR-250.
I've also added a PVR-500 with a direct RF feed (which has access only
to the analog channels).  I've set my tuner prioritys with the 500's
tuners being higher priority than the 250.  I've also configured the
video sources so myth knows and understands that the 500's have a subset
of the channels the 250 gets.

So when I schedule a recording on an analog channel (as 95% of my
recordings are), it uses a 500 tuner if available; using the 250 only if
both tuners on the 500 are busy.  This is good.  If I schedule a
recording on a digital channel, myth automatically schedules it on the
250, which is also good.

Now, unfortunately, liveTV defaults to one of the 500's most of the
time.  I have set a "select a tuner less likely to interfeer with
recordings" option, which usually results in giving me the second tuner
on the 500.

Most of the users in the house often use liveTV, and like to browse all
the channels, including the digital ones.  Right now, I've had to teach
them to use the "y" command to cycle through the tuners until they get
the right one.  This actually has a fairly high failure rate (the user
education end of it), and has been leading to considerable frustration
with using Myth here.

If I could only make LiveTV choose the 250's tuner by default (which is
available most of the time because nearly all our recording occurs on
the 500), this would fix a lot of our user problems.

Is there some way to set this?  Perhaps I need to edit the database
directly?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Jim