[mythtv-users] Does/can media monitor affect LIRC control during playback of recordings?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:56:32 UTC 2005

An oddity that I've been having ever since first installing 0.16 via atrpms.

When playing back a recording (DVB/PVR-350 though PVR-350 decoder) the
remote control (connected to PVR350 card, LIRC compiled manually,
2.6.10 kernel) will often just stop responding after several minutes,
meaning I have no control of the rest of the recording. Sometimes the
mythfrontend process will race to 99%, sometimes not.

Killing the mythfrontend and restarting fully restores remote
capability, and dropping to a shell and using 'irw' gives normal
button responses, so I have eliminated LIRC as the culprit.

The key reason for this email is that since temporarily removing my
DVD-ROM drive from the system, the frontend is now much snappier in
response, and the remote control has not stopped working during
playback, even during 3hr plus NBA recordings.

Have any other users had similar issues? The logs contain nothing
useful, and I don't to put the drive back now until I find a working
solution! I am keen to belive that mediamonitor or something related
to monitoring the DVD drive is interrupting/conflicting with the
remote.

On a side-note, seeking in UK DVB-T recordings takes ~5-10s when
jumping, which I attribute to the stream type being hard to navigate,
not a slow system. Jumping through an MPEG2 file from the PVR-350 is
near instant. Do others have the same findings? I know the PVR-350 X
driver is not accelerated and will try to test with the onboard TV-out
of the Pundit-R, but wondered whether this is something we just have
to live with for the timebeing.

Hope someone can share some experience,

Cheers,
Nick