[mythtv-users] "unknown socket" error with Xbox frontend

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Thu Apr 14 19:06:51 UTC 2005

Terry Yee wrote:
> yeah its a mystery to me how the xbox is able to resolve hostnames
> into ip addresses.

DNS. You give the hostname of the backend in the setup for xbmcmythtv
and it resolves that to an IP using DNS (i.e the router/firewall on your
  LAN should resolve the Xbox Hostname to the IP it gave it earlier when
the XBox turned on and did a dhcp request)

> That's y i think its just best to go with static ip's and put the actual
> ip address in rather than a host name.  Your on a local network anyways aren't you?

Static IPs are good, but typing in Xbox instead of 192.168.1.100 is
soooooooooooo much easier; heck, even mapping the MAC of the XBox to a
DHCP IP addy and letting it always get the same dynamic IP addy works
nice as well.  Also works for the webserver in xbmc, just surf to
http://xbox instead of http://192.168.1.100.

Tom