[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Thu Apr 14 15:41:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:44 +0000, Risto Treksler wrote:

> Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca> said:
>
> > I'm not a C programmer, so implementing MythRecommend directly in to
> > MythTV isn't something I have the time to do at this point. Coding the
> > client/server scripts though is what I do all day long, so its pretty
> > quick. Though, I'm sure a Myth developer could implement MythRecommend
> > in to MythTV in no time flat, the scripts store the data in the local
> > mythconverg database, so its just a matter of running a simple query and
> > making the interface to it.
>

> --PART II--
>
> mythtv needs to draw people down the "long tail"
> from "popular shows" -to-> "obscure but related shows"
>
> i haven't used the mythrecommend script recently
> so i forget whether the perl script already does that by genre
> - ie. recommend other *less known comedies* for Simpsons viewers
> - so, don't recommend CSI or Futurama, even if Simpsons watchers watch them
>

> Basically, how do you picture the myth interface for this?
>
> 1) have a mythrecommend module accessible by:
>    "manage recordings" -> "schedule recordings" -> "recommended shows"
>    - this kind of misses the point though,
>      since you have to go out of the way to do it
>
> I think that for it to be effective
> the interface must be done on a per episode basis
>
> --so option number 1) is out--
>
> 2) put it somewhere in the "set recording options" screen
>    - where you currently have "list upcoming episodes" and "program details"
>    - make option for "list recommended shows"?
>
> 3) or put it under the context menu of the episode
>   -"recording options" -> "recommended shows"
>   - or even put it right uner "recording options" and "job options"
>
> either option 2 or 3 would bring up a kind of
> - a "program finder" that only lists recommended shows

Ideally I would like to see all 3 options eventually. Option 1 is nice
if you just want to get an entire overview of recommended shows. Option
2 is what I originally had in mind, but Option 3 seems to make a lot of
sense too. Either option 2 or 3 would be a great start.

The mythrecommend script at this point does not take in to account
genre, since the user base is still pretty small, it makes doing any
really fancy recommendations pretty useless at this point.

However the script simply grabs the recommendations from the server and
inserts them in to the local database, so all it takes is a couple joins
and you can get the genre from the local program table and narrow it
down that way if you want.

Personally I wouldn't want it to recommend shows JUST in the same genre,
but rather any shows that are popular and/or very highly rated among its
viewers. (which is currently does) Other options would be to show a
"genre" column in the "recommend shows program finder" or have an option
to limit recommendations by genre only.

Are you volunteering to do the implementation?

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>