[mythtv-users] Re: gave up on the Epia

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Wed Apr 13 22:37:05 UTC 2005

> I don't use EPIA for myth but I don know that the C3 is not a single
> core and some C3 processors actually compile better as i586...
> So does this mean there's a mini-ITX board for sale, or were you just
> getting discouraged?

Yup, I tore everything out of it and am presently putting together a machine
based around an nForce3-150 mATX motherboard.  I've heard from a lot of people
that the nForce boards are rock solid.  Plus, I'm getting a little extra
horsepower under the hood with an AMD Sempron 2600+.  The C3 had me pulling my
hair out any time I had to compile anything.

And yes, there is a mini-ITX board for sale, but I didn't think this was the
place to advertise it.  If you're interested, look for my posting on Anandtech's
BBS.

Also, someone asked about the symptoms of the DMA problems.  The only symptom I
ever got was a total lockup whenever I tried to send large files over the LAN
from my desktop machine to the Epia.  Small text files, no problem.  Large data
files, lockup in less than 5 seconds.  I had plenty of other lockups too, but I
don't know if they were DMA related.

FTP lockups meant that using my Myth box as a media server was out of the
question, which was one of my hopes from the beginning.  Hopefully, the nForce +
 AMD route will help on this.

Micah