[mythtv-users] Hardware MPEG2 Tuner Comparison

BP lists at qucae.com
Wed Apr 13 22:19:17 UTC 2005

Allan Stirling wrote:

> The only quality tests are taking the video signal from an XBox, putting
> it through a RF modulator, then demodulating it using the tuner?
>
> What's wrong with in addition just connecting a normal SVideo cable
> between a DVD player and the input on the card? Couldn't get the cables?

I think they were trying to distinguish between the analog and digital
tuners.  Doesn't that require a signal through the RF input?  But you
have a good point.  They should also have tested picture quality of the
encoder without the tuner in the path.

Their testing methodology was very poor though.  I had a hard time
seeing the point of their cpu tests.  There was no mention of the
capture quality settings for each card.  Also, the fast forward and
rewind tests should not be a function of the encoders, but of decoding
(probably related to bit rate and resolution).  Since their screen
captures for picture quality were not exact, their cpu tests might also
have been of different frames.

 I also have to wonder about their objectivity considering the plug for
the power supply in hardware setup.  I sense they can be bought.