[mythtv-users] commercial flagging idea - commercial"fingerprinting"

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Apr 13 19:16:31 UTC 2005

> Another consideration is going to be the different resolutions people
> record at. If everyone used the same resolution you could choos e a
> few place son teh screen (like a real fingerprint sort of) and get a
> difference from a particular pixel or set of pixels (this should
> eleminate the contrast and sharpness settings). Then just create a
> sort of MD5 type algorthm for frames or something so you aren't
> passing the actual screen shots and thus copyrighted material. The you
> could look for a series of frames that each match the algorithm's
> results in the database for the specific cut point.

Someone might be interested in looking at the gqview image-similarity
code.  I don't know how much it will help, but it *is* capable of
comparing and showing similarity between flat different-res images at
different percentages (and it's quite accurate at its "high" setting).
On the other hand, it's rather slow to generate the similarity vectors,
so it would be virtually useless for use in matching an existing
fingerprint to a show to import a cutlist.

-Chris