[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 150 or 250

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Apr 13 17:21:00 UTC 2005

> Actually, it's not quite that simple. The 150 you're talking about is not a
> 150. It's a 250 blackbird.
>
> The 150/500 uses a cx25840 as a capture chip - And the native PCI interface
> of the cx23416.
>
> The blackbird uses the CX88 as a PCI interface and for it's A->D, etc and
> just uses the cx23415/6? as a dumb peripheral.

 	I was aware of the configuration differences, but it doesn't
invalidate the question of capture resolution.  Aside from the topology of
the chips, (one being supported by ivtv and the other not, unfortunately),
they've got similar broadcast decoder chips.  The -250/350 has a
completely different decoder chip (i.e. A/D+video decode) with older
generation specs (8-bit A/D, less advanced comb filter).

 	It really boils down to which chip acts as the logic glue for the
PCI bus.  The -150 uses the well-documented cx25840 as the PCI bus
arbitrator, with the cx23416 tacked on the general-purpose I/O pins.  The
blackbird uses them in the other order... the 23416 is the PCI interface
and the capture chip is glued on as a general-purpose I/O to it.

 	I think that's more or less correct... I'd still like to see a
resolution comparison.  My -250's crap out at about 400 lines, so
capturing over about 540x480 is pointless.

-Cory