[mythtv-users] SP13000 + Haupauge PVR 500

MagicITX magicitx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:26:46 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com> wrote:
> Krist van Besien wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >This is my first post, so please bear with me if it is full of
> >questions with obvious answers...
> >
> >I want to build me a new box that will have to server as PVR, and as
> >media server (host my music collection in other words). I was thinking
> >of buying this one:
> >
> >http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/T2e_SP13000.htm
> >
> >And add a haupauge PVR 500 card to it. Then I'd add linux and mythtv
> >
> >I've searched the archives of this list, and thus got the impression
> >this would work.
> >First question:  Am I correct?
> >
> >What I basically would need is how to get the CN400 northbridge on the
> >motherboard working, and how to get the PVR 500 working. In mails I
> >found in the archive of this list a "guide" was mentioned on how to
> >get the PVR 500 working. I could not find an other reference to this.
> >Thus:
> >Second question: What's involved in getting the PVR 500 working. Are
> >the results good?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Krist
> >

> not to discourage you away from via/epia but you might want to read the
> endless threads on this subject.. recently one named "gave up on the
> Epia" using one for a frontend/backend system really isnt ideal because
> of the DMA issues VIA chips suffer under linux..
>
> --John

The thinking on the "gave up on Epia" thread says that you should plan
on building your system from source.  At least some of the problems
people report are due to binary kernels that use cpu features not
present in the VIA cpu.  One writer suggested the "DMA problem" may be
due to this.  I can't say as I've not experienced the problem.

I've not been able to get a PVR500 working on Epia.  That was a couple
weeks ago and things are changing fast with the ivtv driver.  I read a
message yesterday that said the latest ivtv plus the latest firmware
from Hauppauge worked.  YMMV.

--
Tim
www.magicitx.com