[mythtv-users] gave up on the Epia

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Wed Apr 13 16:00:33 UTC 2005

On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:49 AM, Matthew Phillips wrote:

> On 13/04/2005, at 12:35 AM, James Stembridge wrote:
>> On Apr 12, 2005 11:58 AM, Matthew Phillips <mythtv at mattp.name> wrote:
>>> so although TV worked out of the box it was pegging the CPU until I
>>> did
>>> a recompile (takes 2.5 hours :/).
>>
>> Why compile on the epia? I just compile deb's on my desktop, transfer
>> them over to the mythtv box and install. Much quicker :)
>
> It certainly would be a good idea to do that - if I had another x86
> box to compile on ;) My home PC is a PowerBook and I'm not brave
> enough to attempt a cross-compilation setup with gcc (if that's even
> possible).

I can't remember what package it was, but I've had trouble compiling
things for my epia on my desktop machine. The issue was that I compile
for epia with -march=c3, and the offending package built a utility for
itself, and then failed running it since the desktop didn't have the c3
magic.

I'm sure there's a better way around this, assuming the offending
package supports cross compiling, but being the lazy person I am, I
just build everything for my frontend on my frontend. Sort of computer
assisted procrastination.

Regarding giving up on epia, I don't have any of the DMA problems, or
even FF/REW problems (although the machine is diskless, so I suppose
there are fewer DMA contentions), but I have had more than my fair
share of video problems. Part of the problem is possibly caused by a
problem with my TV (some picture distortion), but also video stuttering
problems with live tv, which seem to be XvMC related. I haven't applied
all the patches to .17, but I think I read there are XvMC VLD changes
in CVS I don't have that are related, so I'm crossing my fingers and
waiting for .18.

I'm not giving up on my M10K yet, but if I knew then what I know now,
it's not the way I would have started.

-Michael