[mythtv-users] Re: recording HD content

John Sturgeon mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com
Tue Apr 12 23:16:59 UTC 2005

Ian Forde wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:30 -0500, Neil wrote:
>

>>>The locals won't end (though they might drop to SD on the firewire) but the
>>>non-locals could go away.
>>>

>>Thanks for the tip Brad. I'm looking into firewire but on my other posts,
>>the guy told me that it may soon be encrypted too. :(
>>

>First of all, the "though they might drop to SD on the firewire" is FUD.
>If it's the HD version of NBC, they're not allowed to transcode it down,
>according to the FCC.
>
>	-I

???  What have you been reading?  The Broadcast Flag (when enabled) will
not only allow them to transcode it down, it will force them to
transcode it.  Once the broadcast flag takes effect, the hardware
manufacturers are going to only be able to output (digitally) SD
quality.  Analog is a different matter, obviously.  That's what all the
'Fight the broadcast flag' stink has been about.

--
John <><